In 2009 Cooks Cabin and a very good friend decided that overall, dog walking in the winter months was not the most fun, particularly with the elements. We decided that making it a social activity would encourage us to see more of our countryside and have a longer walk out – something many people avoid in the winter months.
Following this, a Winter Walkers group was born via social media and has 45 members through word of mouth and work colleagues. Every month, no matter what the weather we went for a walk, with the best walk having 14 dogs and their owners attend!
However, with a difficult pregnancy and the arrival of the ladybug in Cooks Cabin the walks slowly ceased.
Since returning to work in late 2013, I had many enquiries about a relaunch of Winter Walkers and I am glad to say it is alive and kicking for 2015 with the first walk on Sunday 1st February down Manor Farm Country Park
A few ‘facts about the walk’
- 6 dogs, our lovely Lexi and her pals Poppy, Archie, Molly, Victor and Inca
- 10 dog owners, 3 non dog owners and 3 kiddies
- Approx. 9k steps walked which equates to approximately 5km walked
- Several hot chocolates and tea and cake at the cafe pit stop
- No bog (this is a big thing for anyone who has been on a Winter Walkers with the hubster! however there was a muddy section of one of the paths, much to my mother-in-law’s dismay!
- A very crisp, cold, Winter Walkers but no rain! Hurrah!
Considering how long it had been since the last Winter Walkers, it was amazing to see such a good turnout.
We have had requests for a Winter Walkers to be held in West Wittering so sounds like an awesome plan for March!